FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flight 471 San Diego to Seattle, no pilots to be found
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:40 pm
Erasmus

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
The same thing happened to me a few months ago - airplane fully boarded on SEA-LAS, and they realised that there's no flight crew. We ended up all disembarking and reboarding an hour later once a reserve crew made it to the airport.

Sounds to me like AS needs a better crew tracking system - they should be able to tell when they're short a crew well in advance of departure..
While I certainly am *NOT* asking for compensation, it does disturb me that nobody would notice that the pilots were AWOL until they tried to push. I would have hoped they had a better pilot tracking system, indeed. Yes, pilots are late all the time for various reasons, but one would presume they would inform somebody and/or the airline was aware (because, e.g., they are inbound on a delayed flight). Pilots are supposed to do a bunch of stuff preflight (walk arounds, get NOTAMs, flight plans, talk to dispatch, etc., etc.). The fact that absolutely nobody noticed (or at least did not communicate it to the GA dispatching the flight) was disturbing to me.