Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Flight 471 San Diego to Seattle, no pilots to be found

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |

Late boarding and now late departing due to no pilots on the flight. Announcement mentioned the pilots were no where to be found lol. We do have AC now though due to ground crew/maitnance.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |

Pilots were found! Should be departing shortly.

Last edited by SpicyMorale; Aug 25, 2018 at 3:08 pm Reason: Respone from Twitter team for those curious.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
Pilots were found! Should be departing shortly.
Hopefully not at the bar 8-O
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Why don't they just have the ground crew fly the plane? Just have them promise no barrel rolls or wild flying, like that guy did on August 10th. Just smooth straight flying to Seattle.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Why don't they just have the ground crew fly the plane? Just have them promise no barrel rolls or wild flying, like that guy did on August 10th. Just smooth straight flying to Seattle.
Not even remotely funny. Ridiculous yes. Funny? Nope.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
I'm sure your tweet helped speed things up.
tusphotog and kevincrumbs like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
According to Flight Status on Alaska's page the flight took off 32 minutes late. Hardly any real delay. Things happen sometimes and life goes on.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
I was on this flight as well. Contrary to the prior poster, this does NOT happen all the time. In all my years of flying, I've never seen it. We were completely boarded, and the GA arrives to hand the final paperwork to the pilot when the lead FA pointed out there was no cockpit crew. It was clear the GAs--and anyone else outside the plane--was completely unaware. There was genuine concern for the pilots' wellbeing as they had laid over, so were just coming from the rest hotel.

GA called dispatch, crew scheduling, and even made a PA over both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 to locate the pilots to no avail. They did indeed roll up about 25 mins after scheduled departure, and it was never explained what transpired.

FWIW, the first class FA, Larry, was a true gem and kept everyone smiling despite the lengthy delay with his humorous PA announcements and charm in the cabin. Huge thumbs up.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:03 pm

Well this beats the strange reason we had a few weeks ago for late alaska departure - had to deplane and change planes because the cockpit door lock wouldn't lock the door fully (could be opened if someone pulled on it strongly). They brought a mechanic in to change the lock also, but that didnt' work, so we had to get on a whole new plane instead of putting a service cart in front of the door or something to secure it.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Well this beats the strange reason we had a few weeks ago for late alaska departure - had to deplane and change planes because the cockpit door lock wouldn't lock the door fully (could be opened if someone pulled on it strongly). They brought a mechanic in to change the lock also, but that didnt' work, so we had to get on a whole new plane instead of putting a service cart in front of the door or something to secure it.
huh? a cart would block a determined person from getting to the cockpit door for maybe six seconds ... besides, how would you secure a cart in front of the door for taxi, takeoff, and landing?
AS737 and AS Flyer like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Erasmus
I was on this flight as well. Contrary to the prior poster, this does NOT happen all the time. In all my years of flying, I've never seen it. We were completely boarded, and the GA arrives to hand the final paperwork to the pilot when the lead FA pointed out there was no cockpit crew. It was clear the GAs--and anyone else outside the plane--was completely unaware. There was genuine concern for the pilots' wellbeing as they had laid over, so were just coming from the rest hotel.

GA called dispatch, crew scheduling, and even made a PA over both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 to locate the pilots to no avail. They did indeed roll up about 25 mins after scheduled departure, and it was never explained what transpired.

FWIW, the first class FA, Larry, was a true gem and kept everyone smiling despite the lengthy delay with his humorous PA announcements and charm in the cabin. Huge thumbs up.
Curious to what others think, but would this warrant compensation? We didn't take off until 2:28pm when it should of been 1:45pm. Arrived in Seattle 39 minutes late, in the past I've received $50 compensation for flights being 15+ minutes late from ANC-LAS and back.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASA471

Pilot was funny though.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:11 pm

Curious to what others think, but would this warrant compensation?
You want compensation for a 39 minute delay????
icelandman2, thegingninj and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Erasmus
I was on this flight as well. Contrary to the prior poster, this does NOT happen all the time. In all my years of flying, I've never seen it. We were completely boarded, and the GA arrives to hand the final paperwork to the pilot when the lead FA pointed out there was no cockpit crew. It was clear the GAs--and anyone else outside the plane--was completely unaware.
The same thing happened to me a few months ago - airplane fully boarded on SEA-LAS, and they realised that there's no flight crew. We ended up all disembarking and reboarding an hour later once a reserve crew made it to the airport.

Sounds to me like AS needs a better crew tracking system - they should be able to tell when they're short a crew well in advance of departure..
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Curious to what others think, but would this warrant compensation? We didn't take off until 2:28pm when it should of been 1:45pm. Arrived in Seattle 39 minutes late, in the past I've received $50 compensation for flights being 15+ minutes late from ANC-LAS and back.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASA471

Pilot was funny though.
What is it with people on this website wanting compensation for every inconvenience?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Curious to what others think, but would this warrant compensation? We didn't take off until 2:28pm when it should of been 1:45pm. Arrived in Seattle 39 minutes late...
you've GOT to be kidding, right? SEA had ground stops for inbound traffic due to low ceilings almost all day yesterday

you might get more sympathy if you missed a connection and had to wait another six or eight hours in SEA for the next flight, but a 39-min arrival delay is hardly a big deal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.