FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Too much crew control of window shades on 787?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:57 pm
StuckinITH

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Is it part of the standard procedure for FA’s to close all window shades in the C cabin these days? Seems like every intl flight I get on has all of them closed. My issue with it is that I find 95% of passengers just leave them shut for the entire flight. Couldn’t imagine riding in a car and electing to not see outside the entire ride! Not a major issue but was just curious. I love the 787 so I can at least see what’s going on on the ground as far as taxi progression, gate situation etc.

since I fly solo, I always select a seat in the middle section for convenience to the aisle, not to climb or be climbed, etc.

whats your opinion since since most non-US airlines require window shades to be open for takeoff and landing?
My experience is that the FAs ask for the shades to be closed after the first meal. I have never had them ask for it before takeoff.

But yes, sometimes the shades are closed on very hot days so the the inside of the aircraft is not overheated before they put the air conditioner on. On our flight to DCA 10 days ago they asked us to close the shades before getting off the plane to reduce the excessive heat. But when passengers enter the plane, they usually open the shades unless the sun is hitting them.