FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming AS Route Cuts
View Single Post
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:59 pm
AS Flyer

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Precisely because I am based in San Francisco and care about the competitive environment at my home airport. I lived through a very long time when UA was the only game in town and it was quite difficult to avoid them. It wasn't long ago that there was no B6/VX or even WN at SFO. F9 was the only alternative carrier from SFO to LAX before VX came along. Having a disruptive carrier in the name of VX come in totally changed the competitive landscape at SFO bringing in MUCH lower fares and way better breadth of service, a much broader network, and lay flat seats at a much more reasonable price to multiple markets which never had them.

AS is not terrible by any means and I never said I would never fly them. The majority of time they either don't go where I want to go or offer a product that is substantially better than the multiple other offerings that are out there. I would like nothing better than having a large competitive force at SFO offering a substantially better product but sadly that has not happened with AS and seems very unlikely to happen in the near future.

Rather than being in denial and constantly trying to prove how in some random market AS offers the best service, it may be wise to listen to people that are actually from the areas that AS is struggling to be competitive and profitable in rather than pretending everything is peachy. The drag in profitability from California is also impacting their traditional strongholds like in PDX so it is not like the negative impacts of California don't reverberate through the rest of the company. I hope they turn things around but management seems to still be in very deep denial at this point as are many AS fans.
AS isn't going to go to lie flat seats or 7-8 flights a day from SFO-JFK/BOS/FLL - beyond that, what exactly should Alaska do? They're competitive in the majority of transcon markets. So yeah, "listen to the people from those areas" - what else is there to learn from them? That's your biggest gripe? Is AS not competitive to RDU, MCO, BNA?