FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is 1.8 million Skymiles DTW to JNB R/T a good deal for 2 passengers?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:59 am
CALlegacy

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't understand this comment. People from the twin cities don't visit Australia? LAX is the traditional Australia routing from anywhere in the US except Hawaii, and that's how DL will route you if you search for revenue flights (and with a very reasonable connection at LAX, I would add).

I searched for UA awards MSP-SYD random dates in April and there's actually mixed cabin saver J space available, so 160k RT, with the domestic segments in Y. 400k would be the RT everyday price in J, routing via SFO, IAH, or LAX.
It is not for sale in the sense that the price in miles is so high that for practical purposes the mile redemption should be considered unavailable. That is what I meant. Obviously if you buy a ticket at any reasonable price LAX would be the normal connection point or also Hawaii. Another option is DFW on AA/QF. That is available in J for 80,000 RT except it isn't because the QF leg is actually in Y and virtually never available in J on saver awards. You can book Delta MSP-SYD in Y for 80,000, but that is a ticket you can buy for $1060 or about 1.3c/m value, which is sneered at here. But the issue under discussion is how/why such ridiculous mileage prices are even posted. It is about what are they thinking and what is the point and who would actually select that offering.