FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa [No longer Hilton after 3/23] {THA}
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:41 pm
evergrn

Originally Posted by tide
I like the Hilton. It's spread out so it doesn't feel crowded, even with large tour groups. The local news reports that fewer China tour groups are coming to Phuket now because of the recent incident with a tour boat sinking so now's the time.

I recommend you rent a car at the airport and drive. You need transport given the Hilton's location and the size of Phuket island/peninsular. Taxis are expensive. Grab doesn't really work. Scooters are dangerous.
Thanks for the encouraging remarks about Hilton. You're making me feel better about the Hilton option. As for the car, I just can't do it. After I turned 30, I started becoming loathe to try new places, and this is only the second time in the past 10 years that I'm going to a new country. I'm a bit nervous as it is about going to Thai, even though this is supposed to be an R&R trip (only booked it because I wanted to go somewhere cheaper than our usual HKG and because wife wanted to check it out). No way I'm adding the stress of driving.

@escape4
Thanks for the additional feedback. If I decide to go with Hyatt (which is looking less likely), I will definitely pass on Regency Club access. Thanks also for the additional clarification regarding the "beach" in front of HR.

Originally Posted by SK AAR
The hotel rates you quote I find very expensive for even November. I would look for better value elsewhere. Admittedly, in general hotel rates in Phuket are far higher than in other parts of Thailand but USD 950 for 4 nights - that is ridiculously expensive IMO. Did you consider Khao Lak? (about 80 km/1 1/2 hours drive north of the airport - it is not Phuket). You should be able to find nice beach properties there.

I wouldn't base my choice of hotel on the possibility of late check-out. Most properties in Thailand are very stingy about late check-out so I would count on a 4-5 PM check-out if that is what you are expecting. A 1-2 PM check-out is often what you get.
Well, Hyatt would've been a lot cheaper if I had status with Hyatt that's the equivalent of Hilton Diamond. If I did, I'd be looking at maybe the lowest-category room (with expectation of upgrade) and everyone in the party getting free breakfast. Instead, at Hyatt, I'm having to book the breakfast-inclusive package in room category one tier up from the lowest, plus I have to pay additional for kids' breakfast since the bnb package only pays for 2 adult breakfast. So it totally adds up.

Thanks for suggesting Khao Lak. I'll look into it for sure. Unfortunately no Hilton/Hyatt/IHG up there, but I will look into it some more.

Not expecting 4pm checkout, but I really hope to get at least a 2pm checkout. If not, that would suck. In Asia (except Jpn where they tend to be stingy), 2pm checkout has never been a problem as a Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum or IHG Gold. Mind you, I've only been to HKG and SIN!