FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott baited and switched us on the upgrade policy
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:27 pm
boolean64

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
IMO before the merger Ambassador was like Global Services before the CO/UA merger...existed alongside the 1Ks (the regular Platinums), but didn't necessarily infringe upon their benefits. Happy harmony.

Post-merger, I could see Ambassador being more like new GS on the combined UA...truly play by a different set of rules, a lot of their benefits (early check-ins, suites, etc.) may come at the expense of the Plats/PPs.

I guess we will see...
The difference in GS pre/post merger (IMHO) was not only that GS played by different rules but they rapidly expanded who got GS aside from just people who spent a lot of money on full fare tickets. Big corporate customers got to hand out GS, "influential" people for corp accounts got comped GS...it adds up to the point that GS was such a large crowd they had to cut off benefits to any lower tier. So long as there aren't a ton of extra Ambassadors then us lowly PPs should be OK. I would guess the difference between Plat and PP will gradually become more pronounced than the difference between PP and Ambassador. We will indeed find out though...