FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cheapest method between Hong Kong and Europe using public transport
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:18 am
miklcct

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by croberts134
Your expectations are absurdly unrealistic.

First, your transport budget dropped from €250 to €200 as the thread progressed. So what was once very unlikely became totally unlikely.

Second, where do you think €100 is going to get you 10 nights accommodation? I know you said hostels, but that's a seriously low amount of money to spend on accommodation.

Third, €100 for food AND entry fees? I don't know the cost of entry fees, but any amount greater than zero leaves you less than €10 per day on food. The longer you stretch out your time in transit, the lower that food budget goes as you buy food en route.

Lastly, you have no buffer whatsoever. What happens if you get sick or get robbed or have a bus cancelled? Do you have a plan to become a street beggar in a European city?
​​​​​​
Yes, I admit I'm being very negative here, but I think you're just asking for the impossible. You basically want to spend 40 days a year in Europe (including 4x round trip travel from HKG) for €1600. It's just not going to happen. Or, to put it in your words, it's OUTRIGHT IMPOSSIBLE.
For the accommodation, according to my record of my trip just ended, is about EUR 10 per night in a hostel, depending on the location, and for the food, EUR 5 to 6 can buy me enough for cooking in the hostel for 1 or 2 days in a supermarket.

I can't afford any luxury so I would like to learn about budget travel.