Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Cheapest method between Hong Kong and Europe using public transport

Old Aug 14, 18, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club

The flights between Hong Kong and Europe are currently so expensive such that I can't afford frequent travel.

By what combination of public transport (including flights, trains, buses or even ferries) can I get from Hong Kong to Europe the cheapest, preferably less than EUR 250 round trip, such that I can afford travelling every few months for the high level competitions there.
Old Aug 14, 18, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
The flights between Hong Kong and Europe are currently so expensive such that I can't afford frequent travel.

By what combination of public transport (including flights, trains, buses or even ferries) can I get from Hong Kong to Europe the cheapest, preferably less than EUR 250 round trip, such that I can afford travelling every few months for the high level competitions there.
For 250 EUR I have no idea at all. Unless you somehow spent weeks hitch hiking although don't recommend...

Flights wise the cheapest return from HKG to Europe seem to be around 400-450 EUR return to a lot of cities. Cheapest I've seen is to LHR/PRG/VIE. You won't get flights for 250 EUR.
Old Aug 14, 18, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Hong Kong to London for EUR 250? You must be joking!
Old Aug 15, 18, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by george77300 View Post
For 250 EUR I have no idea at all. Unless you somehow spent weeks hitch hiking although don't recommend...

Flights wise the cheapest return from HKG to Europe seem to be around 400-450 EUR return to a lot of cities. Cheapest I've seen is to LHR/PRG/VIE. You won't get flights for 250 EUR.
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Hong Kong to London for EUR 250? You must be joking!
I know EUR 250 won't get me flights for that, so I am asking for every possible public transport, including buses and trains (these are generally cheaper than flights). Also, If I can arrive northern or eastern Europe it's OK, no need to get to western Europe.

EUR 300 seems to be lowest round-trip airfare on a promotion.

Last edited by miklcct; Aug 15, 18 at 9:44 am
Old Aug 15, 18, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you will to hitchhike and sleep rough? You've still got food to consider.
Old Aug 15, 18, 1:28 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Forget it.
The money you save on airfare will be spent otherwise (accomodation/food/etc.)
...and how much travel time are you expecting each way ?
Simply an unrealistic idea.
Old Aug 16, 18, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Forget it.
The money you save on airfare will be spent otherwise (accomodation/food/etc.)
...and how much travel time are you expecting each way ?
Simply an unrealistic idea.
I second this. If you start hitchhiking/bus I'm sure you could do it for 250 EUR but with extra days of food, accommodation you would end up spending much more.

As for flights book them on seperate tickets with budget carriers for your best bet. For example Ryanair to AMM from Europe (I can see BUD-AMM for 30EUR) and then someone else middle section to India or something and then Air Asia etc.. Haven't thought it through but that idea anyway.
Old Aug 16, 18, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
I know EUR 250 won't get me flights for that, so I am asking for every possible public transport, including buses and trains (these are generally cheaper than flights). Also, If I can arrive northern or eastern Europe it's OK, no need to get to western Europe.

EUR 300 seems to be lowest round-trip airfare on a promotion.
Unless you have mega spare time forget surface transport. It's 8,000 km in a straight line to Europe and roads and rail don't go in straight lines. Basically it's a lot further than you think and you'd be better finding a job to pay for a cheap flight.

Out of interest though I had a look for trains: the website Seat 61 offers advice on Long-haul trains and from London to China but they are all expensive compared to your budget and look at the time required. Each of these legs is from Seat 61 and assumes direct routing with no delays. Oh and they don't necessarily connect with each other time wise so there may be a few days in each place waiting for the next train. Each price I've picked is the cheapest option (hard sleeper or seat) where it doesn't affect overall time. There is a slightly quicker Beijing to HKG train now but it's more expensive.

London to Moscow is 2 Days (via Berlin and Warsaw) 190
Moscow to Astana is 4 days, 247
Astana to Urumqi is 2 days 123
Urumqi to Beijing is 3 days 85
Beijing to HKG is 1 day 70

So 12 days one way and doing some rough maths it's about 900 each way allowing for food, transit visas etc etc.

Now admittedly it does strike me as quite a cool way to go to HKG and I do have a bit of free time... but still.
aroundtheworld76 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 18, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

As my aim is "frequent travel", finding a job will be a problem: unlike you guys in the EU where you have at least 20 days of leave a year, there are only 7 days of leave in Hong Kong - which is only better than the U.S. where there is none. As a result, I wasted a lot of airfare and couldn't participate in all the competitions / conferences / jamborees I would like to.

For example, I was selected as a representative for both the World Trail Orienteering Championships in Lithuania (9/7 - 16/7) and World Scout Youth Forum in Azerbaijan (6/8 - 10/8) last year. I had to fly to Lithuania on an inferior expensive Finnair flight due to time constraint for my job, back after the event, and fly to Azerbaijan 3 weeks later, and had to return before the World Scout Conference (n.b. the Youth Forum is the preparatory event for the Conference where 97% of the forum participants continued to the conference, and I became the unlucky 3%).

Meanwhile, I met a friend in the forum, who was ,from Taiwan with a very similar background to me. He was still in the university and was in the summer break. He was also selected as both a representative in Junior World Orienteering Championships (held in Finland in the same time as World Trail Orienteering Championships) and World Scout Youth Forum. Guess what he did? After participating in the orienteering championships, he went to Iceland for the World Scout Moot, then back to Azerbaijan for the youth forum! All perfect timing! Of course, because he had no leave constraint, he continued to the conference all the way.

I IMMEDIATELY REGRETTED NOT QUITTING THE JOB PREMATURELY such that I could do the same. That job was a one-year contract ending in early October, and I thought it was good, the only pitfall was too far away from my home so I didn't renew the contract.

If I don't have such constraint, I can easily shop around fares, for example travelling around 150 km to another airport to take advantage of 200 EUR cheaper airfare (where I did a few times this year already by flying out of Guangzhou instead of Hong Kong where there are more flights to Moscow, resulting in more availablity of seats), or adding additional days to the trip to take advantage of discount availablity.

After a few months, I found another full time job near my home in March - as a result I could not participate in the whole of competition series (FinTrailO) due to holiday constraint because I had to flew on Friday and return on Easter Monday, and missed the chance of trying out winter swimming there (impossible in Hong Kong). This made the trip not worthwhile at all. I resigned in July because I didn't like the job, and went for a 22-day trip including 11 days of orienteering afterwards. I felt that my skill was improved during the trip, and it was completely worthwhile. However, if I had a full time job, this trip is simply impossible as we don't have such amount of leave.

Therefore I would like not to do full time job but instead stay on temporary / freelance jobs instead. As my income will be limited, it is important for me to save every bit of money. I can expect to afford only up to 400 EUR per trip to do it 4 times a year (this account is necessary for me to keep my performance, training intensity and also my world ranking). Assume 100 EUR on hostel for 10 days and 100 for food and entry fees, this leaves 200 EUR for travel. Even buses are OK for me as long as the bus is scheduled, absolutely no taxi or hitchhiking for me.
Old Aug 18, 18, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...but if you have only 7 days of holiday, are you not also trying to minimise the time actually spent travelling?
Old Aug 18, 18, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
...but if you have only 7 days of holiday, are you not also trying to minimise the time actually spent travelling?
7 days of holiday refers to having a full time job, but it is OUTRIGHT IMPOSSIBLE to achieve my goal of joining multiple high-level competitions in Europe using only 7 days of holiday (A series normally constitute 2 or 3 days of competitions, add 1 day for travelling from Hong Kong to Europe by flight, and 2 days from Europe to Hong Kong by flight, already a full week already. As my goal is to join 3 to 4 competitions series a year, it will require 15 - 20 days of holiday), so I would like to avoid a full time job, resulting in limited budget.

Meanwhile, the EU guys are lucky that:
- They can travel on budget carriers
- They can take an evening flight just before the competition day, and take an evening flight back immediately afterwards, if the competitions are held on the weekend then only 1 or 2 days of leave are needed
- They have 20 days of annual leave as stipulated by law

The reason why I must travel to Europe rather than Asia where I can do the same is that, the sport is not well developed outside Europe, and there are little to no chance for me to dramatically improve while staying in Asia.
Old Aug 18, 18, 3:22 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Accor gold, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold, A3 *Gold
every possible public transport, including buses and trains (these are generally cheaper than flights).
No they are not cheaper if long-distance trains through China and Russia are involved. And if you have a close look at a map, going via China and Russia is the only way you can get to Europe from HKG overland that doesn't involve
  • either crossing the Himalaya into India and then either Pakistand & Iran (fun times) OR the Indian Ocean,
  • or making your way through Afghanistan and a gaggle of Central Asian republics, where EUR 250 is probably what you have to spend in bribes at the border(s) alone. Although your orientation skills might come in handy if you need to run from insurgents or the Taliban.
So yes, the 300 promos on Aeroflot, EVA air or some combination of Skyteam airlines it is. And HKG is usually cheaper than even CAN as a departure point.
EmailKid, MHG and dp1586 like this.
Old Aug 18, 18, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Your expectations are absurdly unrealistic.

First, your transport budget dropped from 250 to 200 as the thread progressed. So what was once very unlikely became totally unlikely.

Second, where do you think 100 is going to get you 10 nights accommodation? I know you said hostels, but that's a seriously low amount of money to spend on accommodation.

Third, 100 for food AND entry fees? I don't know the cost of entry fees, but any amount greater than zero leaves you less than 10 per day on food. The longer you stretch out your time in transit, the lower that food budget goes as you buy food en route.

Lastly, you have no buffer whatsoever. What happens if you get sick or get robbed or have a bus cancelled? Do you have a plan to become a street beggar in a European city?
​​​​​​
Yes, I admit I'm being very negative here, but I think you're just asking for the impossible. You basically want to spend 40 days a year in Europe (including 4x round trip travel from HKG) for 1600. It's just not going to happen. Or, to put it in your words, it's OUTRIGHT IMPOSSIBLE.
Chromie25 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 18, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
If these events OP wants to attend are large events, another factor is that housing, plus air and other forms of transport, will have higher than normal rates.

I'm sure there are all sorts of complications, but if OP could somehow figure out how to temporarily live and work in one of the countries in the general area of his completions, maybe that would be a solution.
MHG and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 19, 18, 9:39 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by croberts134 View Post
Your expectations are absurdly unrealistic.

First, your transport budget dropped from 250 to 200 as the thread progressed. So what was once very unlikely became totally unlikely.

Second, where do you think 100 is going to get you 10 nights accommodation? I know you said hostels, but that's a seriously low amount of money to spend on accommodation.

Third, 100 for food AND entry fees? I don't know the cost of entry fees, but any amount greater than zero leaves you less than 10 per day on food. The longer you stretch out your time in transit, the lower that food budget goes as you buy food en route.

Lastly, you have no buffer whatsoever. What happens if you get sick or get robbed or have a bus cancelled? Do you have a plan to become a street beggar in a European city?
​​​​​​
Yes, I admit I'm being very negative here, but I think you're just asking for the impossible. You basically want to spend 40 days a year in Europe (including 4x round trip travel from HKG) for 1600. It's just not going to happen. Or, to put it in your words, it's OUTRIGHT IMPOSSIBLE.
Walking and sleeping outdoors is free (yes, this is as absurdly unrealistic as the OP's post).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: