FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott baited and switched us on the upgrade policy
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:49 pm
yeunganson

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I think the SPG team on the SPG/Marriott merge program is pushing towards increasing the link between number of nights and total revenue brought in. This is why I think they introduced the $20,000 spending threshold for Ambassadors. Now we know the highest "upgrade" priority are returning guests Platinum 100 with ambassadors (ie frequent travelers that not only have 100 nights but also spend 20,000 a year on hotels), it sounds totally fair. Then followed by those random Plat 100 with ambassadors which also make sense. After that, it's Plat any level that are returning guests followed by Plat 75. Plat 50...

Summary
- Ambassador returning guest
- Ambassador
- Returning guest (with plat status)

It's very fair too. Like my Plat 50 revisiting the hotel for the 10th time this year is going to beat the Plat 75 on his/her first visit. And I likely won't feel bitter if someone who spends $20,000 took the suite - just bad luck I happened to stay at a time with so many SPG/Marriott members with ambassadors.

Part of the root cause of all these Plat membership inflation is because it got easier in gaming the system. That means getting those 50/75 nights in cheaper and cheaper ways. So a clear fix would just follow the Plat 100 with ambassafor's lead and put spending thresholds. A $5000 spending for Plat 50 and $7500 for Plat 75 indexed for inflation in 100 increments. That results in about $100/night room rate (which we all pay much higher than that). This kills off most of the gaming for Plat level. People can game up to the Gold level. You're left with "meeting runs" that seems in sympathetic cases - like you 10/15 night away from next level and you spent way pass the "spending threshold".

For us former SPG members, that shouldn't make an impact at all because we normally do butt-in-bed nights anyways.