FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to emotional support animal policies effective 9/17/18
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:42 am
ucfjoe

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Well, actually, I think you may be falling into the classic trap: you've mistaken a Service Animal for an Emotional Support Animal.

The horse in ehallison's photo appears to be wearing the same type of harness and guide handle worn by seeing eye dogs, so it's entirely possible that the animal is a guide for a sightless person (presumably the woman in the window seat, since the man in the aisle seat is obviously writing and is not wearing glasses, so his vision would seem to be good enough that he needs no guide animal). It's also possible that the horse is some other type of service animal that merely uses the same harness.

But on another note, I think it's rather heartless to suggest that people with insecurities and social anxiety be "forced to stay home". Certainly, I believe that stricter regulation of ESA's is called for, and their presence should not be tolerated in places that don't allow pets (unlike trained service animals). But people with such issues shouldn't be treated as second-class citizens, discriminated against, or treated like a disease just because they have a disease.
In some ways this is worse. First of all, why cats? Secondly, it’s like they are suggesting you just call your ESA a PSA. If your ESA helps with depression by comforting you then it’s basically a PSA or at least that’s all someone now has to say. I fully get that there are people that really need assistance but unless I’m missing something here it seems like a door will be easier to exploit. I suppose in theory someone could get busted for lying about a PSA related disability but short of someone filming a video saying they are scamming the system it seems hard they would get found out.