Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to emotional support animal policies effective 9/17/18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

From Southwest.com:

Effective for travel beginning September 17, 2018, Southwest is changing our policies for accepting emotional support animals (ESAs) on our flights. A Customer must still comply with all documentation requirements set forth by federal regulations. Additionally, Southwest is implementing the following changes:
  • The ESA must be either a dog or a cat.
  • Each Customer may bring only one ESA on the flight.
  • The ESA must be in a carrier that can be stowed under the seat in front of the Customer or on a leash at all times while in the airport and onboard the aircraft.
Further information found here:

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ities-pol.html

Furthermore, the following changes are being made to in regard to trained service animals:

Effective for travel beginning September 17, 2018, Southwest is making changes to our existing policies for accommodating Customers with disabilities who seek to travel with a fully trained service animal in the cabin. Customers with disabilities seeking to travel with a trained service animal must still provide credible verbal assurance that the animal is a trained service animal. Additionally, note the following changes to our policy:
  1. Southwest will only accept the following species of animals in our cabin as trained service animals – dogs, cats and miniature horses.
  2. Southwest will accept fully trained psychiatric service animals as trained service animals
More information available here:

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ities-pol.html

Last edited by flight1352; Aug 13, 2018 at 3:49 pm Reason: Additional informational
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by flight1352
... miniature horses ...
Attached Images  
joshua362 and Oxnardjan like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
My miniature horse had a pretzel allergy and only eats peanuts...what do I do now?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No teacup pigs?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by PAX62
My miniature horse had a pretzel allergy and only eats peanuts...what do I do now?
I believe peanut allergies trump pretzel allergies in regards to dog service animals but not dog ESA's. It's the opposite for miniature horses naturally. One caveat, if the pretzel allergy of the traveler with an ESA exhibits or claims (falsely or otherwise) an exacerbated emotional condition associated with the pretzel allergy, pretzel will then trump peanut for all sevice animals and most, but not all, breeds of dog and cat as ESAs.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by PAX62
Post of the day - okay, post of the month!

Love it.

THANK YOU SOUTHWEST FOR ADDRESSING THIS CRAP
pgh234, MitchR and steved5480 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:21 pm

A move the right direction, but a baby step at best.
MitchR likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
and to think I was going to bring my emotional support peacock
Brighterside likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:16 am

The Americans with Disabilities Act recognizes only dogs and miniature horses. Why that is seems obscure. The reasons given are usually horses live longer and some Muslims consider dogs unclean, although that seems more a cultural thing than a religious one.

Who figured out how to train cats?
SoonerRed and Flapjacks like this.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Aug 15, 2018 at 7:41 am
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Finally.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:12 am

Southwest previously disallowed "exotic" ESAs. While it remains to be seen how enforcement protocols will play out (particularly with regards to Service Animal validation), again, this is a very minor change.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
It's on USAToday's home page:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...als/986458002/
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines AP & CP; BA Gold
I hope this empowers GAs to require presentation of documentation prior to boarding. The current status is most people are taking their pets aboard without a carrier, without documentation and without paying the pet fees.
SoonerRed and Flapjacks like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We find it highly offensive that Southwest is suggesting that cats can ever be fully trained. That's soooo beneath us.

Sincerely,
Cats
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by kaller
I hope this empowers GAs to require presentation of documentation prior to boarding. The current status is most people are taking their pets aboard without a carrier, without documentation and without paying the pet fees.
Southwest has always required documentation for ESAs; nothing is changing there.

Carriers cannot require documentation for Service Animals. But this statement would seem to suggest that Southwest will increase efforts in validating them. It's a tricky area. I guess we'll see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.