FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:17 pm
Traveler Dave

Originally Posted by IvanCU
The press release for the Underwater Villa seems to be touting the "$50,000 on up" price.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...derwater-suite
With an estimated $15M to build, they are looking at 300 nights just to cover construction. Factor in maintenance costs, and costs of “benefits” that come with the room cost, I would guess they won’t see any profit from that room for at least 3 years. This is based on my assumption the room will only be occupied a maximum of 6 months a year.

I could of course be way off on occupancy (+ or -). I know there are hundreds of thousands (perhaps millions) of people that can afford that nightly rate. But when you factor in the location of the Maldives, you really cut down on who would actually be wanting/willing to stay there. Lets say the room were off the coast of Miami, I would predict a 90-100% occupancy rate.

But it was greater minds than mine that decided to build it. And as we all know ‘built it and they will come’.