FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:46 pm
GoPhils

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I understand that these comps are mandated. I just argue ... at what point is fighting for a few extra crumbs worthwhile? Being offered 10,000 points in place of a $100 cash payment is an easy compromise for me, and I wouldn't look back (especially understanding that offering additional points is much easier than procuring a cashier's check from the parent company). I understand that it's a huge inconvenience to not have a roof for a night, but I can assure you that there were rooms around 60 miles away (trust me, I know this because I had to search for rooms the night before, and further out of the bay area, there were places to stay... and I know there were rooms farther down southeast on Rt. 99 an hour or so away on the night of this incident), and as long as I did not arrive at midnight to encounter this incident, I would have had this Fairfield guarantee a room out there and driven there. Just know that I know last minute hotels well in this area.... there is ALWAYS something available, and I have had to park myself in Sacramento on a couple occasions due to 0 availability in the Tracy / Bay area when working in Tracy.... but there is always something available in a not-so-ridiculous range.

I, like many road warriors, am quite busy and don't have time to chase these kinds of things down. The $100 cash payment is a drop in the bucket compared to all the points and vouchers I have made in compensation from other issues while flying....

Everyone will have a different opinion on this, but this is mine... and that's all it was intended to be.
So you’re basically saying that the hotel lied, but don’t see a problem with them offering less than what’s even required?

And again, even if the 10,000 points was in place of the $100 cash, that’s not factoring in that they are also required to pay for the night at another hotel which at minimum would be another $100 (and apparently significantly more in the Bay Area). If a hotel can just say “Sorry, there aren’t any hotels available so we’re not going to pay for a different one” then that would set a horrible precedent.