FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:09 pm
lincolnjkc

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
Anyone know why a UA 767-400 arrived this AM from EWR and alighted at D14 (UA #2568) and then returned to EWR in the afternoon from gate D2 (UA #2535)? Is CLE doing maintenance for the larger Boeing jets now? I know there’s a big 737 maintanence operation at CLE.
Based on the tour we got of CLE MX I don't think they're expected/really prepared for wide body maintenance -- and it doesn't make any sense for it to have parked at D at all if it were a maintenance ferry. I suppose its possible if EWR MX was really backlogged and the bird needed something "simple" to get it back into revenue service -- though my suspicion would be sports charter or the like (but not being a sportsball person I have not the faintest idea what it might be.

What's interesting is if in UA.com you try the "where's this aircraft coming from" on the inbound there is no info at all for the for the flight -- no airport, no gate, no times.

Even more oddly, flight aware is showing the outbound flight as arriving at EWR gate "V" (flight aware shows the aircraft started in POB (Pope Aaf? - Fayetteville NC -- doesn't make sense) at 10:31 PM last night, landed in EWR, then did the CLE turn.

Military charter for some reason maybe?

Or maybe its to ferry the CLE Metro GM who got promoted to ATW at EWR to his new gig

[Seriously, though, leaving big shoes to fill -- I've never heard a workforce love their boss more/have more positive things/be so sad to see him go -- definitely had a positive impact on CLE ops and morale while he was here]