FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tier Points Year End Cutoff
View Single Post
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:52 am
newyorklondon

Originally Posted by Schultzois
Whilst the OP in this thread didn't need a grace period to qualify, I am in the situation of requiring a couple days' grace to renew mere Silver on my August 8 year. My AY flight today should put me to 560 (BA metal was already taken care of earlier in the year), but I won't get 600 until after I fly another AY flight on Friday 10 August.

The question for experts here... do I need to specifically request the grace period? If so, is this better done before or after my year has "officially" ended? Further, since I see people writing about two weeks, is this request likely to cause all my flights in that two week period to be applied to the old year? I'd rather this not be the case, as I don't need all of them to retain Silver, and will need all the points I can get if I'm ever going to see Gold again!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Once the extra TPs have posted after your 10 August flight, give BAEC a call to request they be applied to your prior year accrual period. I've never heard of anyone being declined.

Only the TP transaction(s) which take you over the threshold should be applied to the prior year, then zeroed-out, but sometimes this doesn't happen and you get the bonus of the TPs being both applied to the prior year and remaining in your account as part of your current year accrual.

i.e. if you're at 560 at TP year-end on 8 August, earn 80 in a single flight on August 10, that transaction should be applied to your previous year (a notional 640) as it is within the two-week grace period to push you over 600 for Silver, then zeroed out, so that you start the new TP year with 0 TP. However, you may be in luck and start this year with 80 TP in the bank.

No other TPs subsequently accrued within the two-week period should be affected. See subsequent posts: apparently all TPs earned in the grace period are meant to be cancelled out.

It's not the most streamlined system, but there you go...

Last edited by newyorklondon; Aug 8, 2018 at 8:52 am