FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $150 baggage fee for skis???
View Single Post
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:47 am
Redwood839

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by petomoo
Thanks for the help! I'm hoping to avoid the $300 fee by putting both skis in one ski bag.

Hopefully that way I will only get charged for the $150 fee of a bag that is too long....I've already weighed the ski bag with both skis in it and it's well under the weight limit.

I'm just hoping they don't realize it's a ski bag, and just think it's a long bag. It's only $150 extra for the abnormal length, but $300 extra if they are stickers to the "one pair of skis" per ski bag rule.

Also, I'm wondering if a $20 tip to the gate agent I check in with at Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR) will help solve this whole headache for me?
No chance at all. A) $20 isn't even worthy of being considered a tip in Costa Rica for him to do something he isn't supposed to and risk his job. That's literally 10,000 colones (-+). Even if it was bigger than that, I doubt they will waive the fee. B) They're closely watched and unless it's a supervisor you want to tip big time, someone will likely notice.

I would cough it up personally. Copa employees are not the best to bribe, they're pretty straight by the book.