FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New to LX with questions
View Single Post
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:08 pm
Dianne47

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
New to LX with questions

Longtime FT member but I’m a first-time poster in this forum. I just booked an award ticket LAX-ZRH-MAD for April 2019, using UA miles. I phoned today and was able to reserve seats. I have several questions, after searching and reading through this forum of course. As an aside, after a trip a few years ago when I literally fell out of a Polish train while maneuvering my 25-inch suitcase down the steps, I only travel carry-on now. On my trip next spring I will be taking at least 10 train segments, no more falls for me…

1) I assume LX uses the TBIT Star Alliance lounge in LAX?

2) How strict is LX on biz class carry-on out of LAX? The equipment is a 777-300ER. I have a 22-inch Travelpro roller (not spinner, they're no good on European cobbled streets) that is actually about 23.5 with handle, do they measure or weigh at LAX? This bag fits fine in all U.S. overhead bins except bitty jets and easily fit in the TK bins on my last trip.

3) My LAX flight arrives ZRH on a Wednesday at 1515. Are there showers in ZRH in the new Terminal A lounge? My ZRH layover is only 1 hour 25 minutes before the connecting flight to MAD and I will have to clear immigration, a security check, and ride the people mover from E to A. I realize this lounge is so new there may be no one who has tried to shower between connecting flights, my concern is having to wait too long. Any wisdom from LX FFers?

4) My connecting flight ZRH-MAD is on a CS100, also in business class. Will they gate check my roller without charge at ZRH? Is there space under the seat in front of me (3A with B blocked on the 2-seats side) for my roller placed sideways? I'm sure my personal item backpack will fit overhead.

5) I have not yet booked my return which will be at the end of May 2019. How strict is LX on the return AMS-ZRH-LAX, do they actually weigh carry-ons in business class? Should I look for award space on OS, LH, or LO instead? I do know LH is very strict on weight even in business class. I won’t mind checking my bag on the return, but don’t want to do it at the gate. Should I avoid LH ex Europe and focus on space on OS or LO?

6) I’ve read that the LX sizers are not really the 55 x 40 x 23 (in inches 22 x 16 x 9.5) size specified as carry-on maximum. Is this true? Should I purchase an “International” roller to be safe?

7) When I phoned for seat selection today the agent told me they release all the seats at D minus 24 and I can phone to try to get a free “throne seat” then. Is this correct, as I think I’ve read D minus 47 or 48 in other threads here? I’m reasonably happy with my assignment in 15G as it’s a center aisle with the bigger table and armrest areas on both sides. I also asked her about LX arbitrarily moving people around without their knowledge as I’ve read in this forum. She told me, “Oh, that only happens if there’s an equipment change.” Hmm?