FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why did the captain do this?
View Single Post
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:08 pm
readywhenyouare
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
Where does OP mention the captain yelling at pax to leave the aircraft? The closest description I read was "sternly ordered everyone off the plane" and that was only after the FA unilaterally countermanded his original instruction and then challenged him in front of pax, at which point he returned to the aircraft to repeat his original instruction (I admit I may have been a bit ticked off, too, if I were in his shoes).

And nobody on this board knows if there actually was an emergency on board, or even if the captain thought something bad was about to happen and was trying to act as quickly as possible.

There are any number of scenarios that could actually be at play here. At worst, the FA was insubordinate, acting out of turn, and complicating an emergent safety situation. At best, the FA was insubordinate and as unprofessional as the captain, depending on the exact circumstances and how he addressed the pax.

I'm not saying that this captain or any other airline pilots are perfect. But if a captain and FA are disagreeing on something regarding the airplane they're about to operate, I'm going to side with the captain.
I'll side with the NTSB and FAA. They were livid with the LGA incident. The captain kept everyone in a very dangerous situation by keeping them onboard a plane that had just crashed. They should have evacuated immediately. That is a very dark stain on Delta and their crews. Not questioning the captain has led to thousands of deaths and that attitude is very dangerous. Air crews are supposed to work as a team. You are supposed to speak up if you think something is wrong.