FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Am I allowed to bring an AGM battery on a flight for my CPAP machine?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:29 pm
juliep

Originally Posted by TWA884
I'm no expert in matters of electricity, however, I suspect that you will have a problem with the 12 volts and 100 watt hours limit per battery. If my Google search calculations are accurate, that equals only 8.33 AH.

In addition, many airlines require prior notice for approval of battery operated electronic medical devices. At American Airlines, for example, it must be given at least 48 hours before the flight.

Hmmm...I didn't realize there was a limit of amp hours. That is unfortunate. Maybe I can appeal to TSA as this is medically necessary. Thanks also for the calling them in advance part.

Originally Posted by Finkface
Also this: https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2013/06/11/...ries-your-trip

Prohibited Batteries:

Car batteries, wet batteries, or spillable batteries are prohibited from both carry-on and checked baggage unless they are being used to power a scooter or wheelchair. If you need to pack a spare battery for a scooter or wheelchair, you must advise the aircraft operator so that the battery can be properly packaged for air travel.
Spare lithium batteries (both lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer) are prohibited in checked baggage.
Well, I might have hope then, as this is not a car battery, but a leak-proof AGM battery. And it is also for a medical device. Thank you. I might call them or try to reason with them at the airport.