FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Am I allowed to bring an AGM battery on a flight for my CPAP machine?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:16 pm
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
FAA - Batteries Carried by Airline Passengers FAQ:

Q1. What kinds of batteries does the FAA allow in carry-on baggage (in the aircraft cabin)?

Nonspillable wet batteries (absorbed electrolyte), limited to 12 volts and 100 watt hours per battery. These batteries must be the absorbed electrolyte type (gel cells, AGM, etc.) that meet the requirements of 49 CFR 173.159a(d); i.e., no electrolyte will flow from a cracked battery case. Batteries must be in strong outer packagings or installed in equipment. Passengers are also limited to two (2) spare (uninstalled) batteries. Spare batteries terminals must be protected (non-conductive caps, tape, etc.) within the outer packaging. Batteries and outer packaging must be marked “nonspillable” or “nonspillable battery.” Note: This exception is for portable electronic devices, not for vehicle batteries. There are separate exceptions for powered wheelchairs
I'm no expert in matters of electricity, however, I suspect that you will have a problem with the 12 volts and 100 watt hours limit per battery. If my Google search calculations are accurate, that equals only 8.33 AH.

In addition, many airlines require prior notice for approval of battery operated electronic medical devices. At American Airlines, for example, it must be given at least 48 hours before the flight.