FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:56 pm
rny321

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by GoPhils

Again, every rep I’ve talked to when redeeming a travel package has asked what hotel stay I’d like to attach it to, not if I would like to attach it to a hotel stay. That is a clear implication that it is meant to be attached to a specific stay when booked. And again, they don’t push back if you say none, just pointing out the intention.

There are tons of things in the MR program that are “intended” to be one way, but in practice really are “allowed” to not be as intended (both good and bad). For example, similar to TP certificates, the T&C’s for the Chase Credit Card free night certificate clearly state that it is valid for 1 year. However almost everyone that has ever called to have it extended has been allowed to do so.

I am not aware of another hotel program that extends credit card nights. I tried once with Hilton as a Diamond member and was refused. I was unable to extend a Chase Hyatt card night, but did receive some points back. When Marriott extends a certificate, it isn't some special favor but a corporate policy.

With some hotel chains, every time I make a reservation over the phone, I am asked if I want to book activities or make restaurant reservations. I don't interpret that as the company's intent that I book something other than the room on that call. I simply interpret that as marketing or customer service.

I don't know if Marriott reps ask what about hotel selection because Marriott meant for both the air and hotel portions to be selected at the same time or if it is simply a courtesy, like asking if there is anything else I can help you with. Asking what hotel one would like is more efficient than asking if one wants to book a hotel and then if the answer is "yes," asking which hotel.

Even if we knew that Marriott intended for everyone to select a hotel at the time of purchase, which I don't believe we do, there is no reason to believe that an action that is permitted under program rules isn't legitimate as you stated earlier.

"The 'legitimate' use of the TP is meant to be to attach them to a specific hotel stay at time of booking."

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Last edited by rny321; Jul 21, 2018 at 6:11 pm