FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:10 pm
GoPhils

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold

Originally Posted by rny321
My question was who at Marriott told you that a hotel package was meant to be attached to a hotel stay. If you made it up - just say so.

I never said that I changed categories to extend a travel certificate. I merely pointed out that Marriott allowed it. My opinion is that if Marriott intended for hotel certificates to be attached they wouldn't allow multiple changes and extensions.

Nothing in the selection you highlighted states that Marriott expects you to make a selection at the time of purchasing a travel package. Rather it makes it clear that once a hotel is selected that a member can't split a reservation into something like a 4 night and a 3 night stay.

"Travel Package award includes consecutive nights stayed at selected hotel."

I am trying to be polite in spite of your hostile approach and lack of reading comprehension.
Again, every rep I’ve talked to when redeeming a travel package has asked what hotel stay I’d like to attach it to, not if I would like to attach it to a hotel stay. That is a clear implication that it is meant to be attached to a specific stay when booked. And again, they don’t push back if you say none, just pointing out the intention.

There are tons of things in the MR program that are “intended” to be one way, but in practice really are “allowed” to not be as intended (both good and bad). For example, similar to TP certificates, the T&C’s for the Chase Credit Card free night certificate clearly state that it is valid for 1 year. However almost everyone that has ever called to have it extended has been allowed to do so.