FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:50 pm
rny321

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by GoPhils
I said it was MEANT to be attached to a specific hotel stay, not that it needed to be. Every time I have ordered a travel package, I have been asked what hotel stay I wanted to attach it to. You can say none, but again it is meant to be attached to a specific stay.

So you really think changing categories multiple times for the sole purpose of extending the certificate is legitimate? If so, I'm not really sure how to help you. I'm fine with bending the rules a bit, but at least admit it when you're doing it.

But anyway, I quote from the Terms and Conditions of Travel Packages:
My question was who at Marriott told you that a hotel package was meant to be attached to a hotel stay. If you made it up - just say so.

"Marriott has extended the hotel portion for an additional year at least once. Further, by changing the category repeatedly, one could extend the certificates many times."

I never said that I changed categories to extend a travel certificate. I merely pointed out that Marriott allowed it. When I wanted to extend a certificate, I simply asked and Marriott did so for an additional year. My opinion is that if Marriott intended for hotel certificates to be attached at the time of issue, they wouldn't allow multiple changes and/or extensions. I don't pretend to know whether or not Marriott meant for certificates to be attached at the time of purchase, which is why I asked how you knew what Marriott intended.

Travel certificates can't be attached to a reservation without calling customer service, so selecting a hotel and an airline on the initial call would save a customer time. Simply asking at the time of purchase if you want to attach you new certificate to a hotel might simply be a good customer service and certainly doesn't tell you what Marriott meant. When I was booking American Airlines awards, unlike Marriott travel packages, I needed to have availability in the class of service requested and any changes didn't extend the expiration.

"Travel Package award includes consecutive nights stayed at selected hotel."

Nothing in the selection you highlighted states that Marriott expects you to make a selection at the time of purchasing a travel package. Rather it makes it clear that once a hotel is selected a member can't split a reservation into something like a 4 night and a 3 night stay. There is no mention of an expectation that the hotel be selected when purchasing a travel package.

I have been trying to be polite in spite of your hostile approach.

Last edited by rny321; Jul 21, 2018 at 2:35 pm