FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:37 pm
GoPhils

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rny321
I am curious about the level, but not the name, of the person or persons in Marriott management that told you that. To be clear, I am questioning the quality of information that you were given and not your interpretation of what you were told.

For as long as I've been buying travel packages, Marriott has extended the hotel portion for an additional year at least once. Further, by changing the category repeatedly, one could extend the certificates many times. I purchased additional travel packages this year because I wanted to use one at a Starwood hotel and another at a hotel which is declining in cost and nobody objected to my not immediately attaching the certificate to a hotel.

In contrast, when I wanted to book American Airlines first class awards to Asia and Australia before an announced devaluation, I needed to actually find available space for the routing I wanted when booking an award. Although the dates could be changed, the routing could not and the expiration could not be extended.

I said it was MEANT to be attached to a specific hotel stay, not that it needed to be. Every time I have ordered a travel package, I have been asked what hotel stay I wanted to attach it to. You can say none, but again it is meant to be attached to a specific stay.

So you really think changing categories multiple times for the sole purpose of extending the certificate is legitimate? If so, I'm not really sure how to help you. I'm fine with bending the rules a bit, but at least admit it when you're doing it.

But anyway, I quote from the Terms and Conditions of Travel Packages:
  1. All Hotel Rewards Terms & Conditions apply.
  2. Travel Package award includes consecutive nights stayed at selected hotel.
  3. Any unused nights will be forfeited.
  4. Miles will automatically transferred into the frequent flyer mileage account that matches the name on your Marriott Rewards account.
  5. Once processed, airline miles cannot be transferred back to your Marriott Rewards account.