FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:00 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Thanks! Transferred the remaining M points back to *W that was just enough to book cash and points stay at Four Point Auckland. The hotel will move up from Cat 3 to Cat 4 on 8/1 so just in time. Now I have several floating Marriott certs that I could not apply to Sheraton Taipei for fall travel. The certs clearly states:

Reward Details
· Description: 7 Night Travel Package Category 1-5 Hotels
· Reward code: 830T
· Valid through: Saturday, July 20, 2019
· Total points redeemed: 540,000
Confirmed on: Friday, July 20, 2018

I am wondering how can Marriott legally cancel these certs? They are confirmed on 7/20/18, which is more recent than the dates of any posts about cancellation and refund after merge.
You cannot book it before August 1st because SPG properties will not be bookable with Marriott pts before that date at the earliest. On top of that, the actual merger date is NOT announced, just in August. Some other information seem to imply it would be Aug 27.

August 1st is only the date related to New category charts come in effect, and the SPG credit cards will no longer earn SPG pt at the rate of 1 pt per $1 spend. Instead, it would be earning 2 "points" per $1 spend when the "point" is the new name of the current Marriott Reward Point.

Marriott has ZERO legal liability on changing program rules, of which the program administrator can change the rules at any time without giving any advance notice.

It is in the T&Cs which you have agreed upon when you sign up a loyalty program, ANY loyalty program, would have this provision - the administrator of such program CAN change the rules at any time WITHOUT giving any advance notice. Have you read the T&Cs yet?

Further more, if you actually read the T&Cs of the airlines loyalty programs, the miles do NOT belong to you. Shocker, right? They belong to the airlines, written in black and white in the programs' T&Cs.

There are some posters keep saying about bring legal actions, or class lawsuits... Good luck to those who have real intention and not just being keyboard warriors, that is just so laughable.