FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amanresorts Thread 2018
View Single Post
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerEC

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Aventine
Shame about the kids club. I understand it's a business and things have to change. Catering to a new type of Aman guest. *shrugs
Originally Posted by scented
I am painfully reminded of one too many instances in which I was reassured not to worry about new ownership and regime and in due course that particular person ‘comforting’ me, after a few weeks, had left the operation as well.

Interestingly, I am of the opinion that the new owner himself does understand Amanresorts and its DNA intimately, but sadly most persons beneath him do not. It is not enough to hire the best consultants, hospitality professionals and graduates or to get simply the hungriest on board, for they will not understand Aman. This is not another lifestyle operation in which a brand is a testing ground for a 21st century transformation, it’s about the small details, the culture, humor and care. I much preferred the pitfalls of the past days, compared to soulless mass experience seminar of current ones. It’s not enough to hire best, as sometimes the merely best have no understanding of the way one communicates or welcome guests, not clients. When I hear many of the new ‘hosts’ talking, I find them comparing Amanresorts to Rolls Royce...
With every person replaced, I wonder who is left and holding up what we know so well and love? My hope is the front liners, the cooks, gardeners, guest assistants and butlers might do it, as they are the true Amanresorts, but I hope that in the thousands instances they are reminded to use guest names they do not forget hospitality from the heart. Yes we might have been amused about some ‘characters’ in the past, hires who where a little caprice and sometimes AZ saw something essential in them most would not, but the underlining thread always was a passion for hospitality and not a ‘stint’ for the CV. The eclectic have been long replaced..

The misconception is that Aman cannot be programmed, put into words... or manuals. Try to teach these armies of PR people what our stays should be all about. They are not about Instagram filters. And the best is not always the most expensive or exclusive. Yes I have seen some write “Aman is the most expensive and exclusive group in the world”. Wrong.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Actually, a large number of Amanpuri regulars are not there over the festive season these days. The guest profile has changed considerably. I also do not believe that the gratuitous display of wealth is entirely due to social media!
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
were any amans 'slow' to add internet in common areas / cellular reception ?

would be interesting if certain hotels had periods with no internet in common areas, and possibly no cellular if they have their own tower

evolution of travel sales and marketing also factor, and likely the colony capital period if not others

guest styles change everywhere, but difference with aman is how different it was originally
Originally Posted by Fliar
I hate it when for the sake of modernising they turn things upside down ;-)
Agreed about modernising for the sake of it , thankfully not “ upside down “ as sometimes in FT systems . But if keeping with AMAN ethos which has been its unique trail blazing feature is priority , moving with the times is a good thing - that is the catch .
The old staff understand , newer GMs ?? . Doubt many at the HQ , RHQs since all are relatively new except for VD who as a longtime AMANjunkie & should know - imparting to others , who have no idea what those from the beginning have experienced through to more ‘ recent ‘ times , is a tall order .. another story ..

My Amanpuri TR above is still WIP ( to prevent disappearing sections from occurring , then those upside down photos on top at the preamble .. but thankfully right side up in the sections - posting has become rather complicated with the unnecessary automatic ? scrolling ) , some of the points addressed there .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 23, 2018 at 7:18 pm