FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amanresorts Thread 2018
View Single Post
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:32 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
With apologies, I think some might be getting carried away with misty memories from the days of old. It's beginning to sound like "Make Aman Great Again" to me, to be honest. Things change.

Aman in the days of old operated at ridiculously low occupancy. As a result, for the prices that were paid and the number of staff available, as well as excellent training and genuine interest in service, the service experience was tremendous.

Today, Aman operates at higher occupancy on average. As a result, the service experience isn't to the same standard. Go to an Aman at lower occupancy periods, though, and service can be just as wonderful.

Personalities matter, but one or two persons shouldn't a proper luxury hotel experience make.

I've also had Aman-like experiences at many non-Aman properties, even in recent years and even at high occupancy. The St Regis San Francisco. The Prince Gallery Tokyo, Suiran Kyoto. The St Regis Punta Mita. The St Regis New York. The Imperial Vienna. The Prince de Galles Paris. The Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur. The Gritti Palace Venice. The St Regis Bora Bora. Singita Boulders. Did all off them not make me sign? No. Did many of them have staff that called me by name throughout my stay? Yes. Did all of them provide unbelievably good service? Yes. Did all of them go above and beyond? Yes. Did any of them make mistakes? Yes, but so has Aman. Did most of them have better food/beverage than Aman? You bet.

I sometimes think that Aman actually hasn't changed much...and the rest of the luxury market has caught up in many instances.

But the complaints about yesteryear are pointless IMO. Accept Aman for what it is, or move on to somewhere else that fits your bill. Otherwise, it's back to "Make Aman Great Again" and all that nonsense.