FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:13 am
txhyattlvr

Originally Posted by whistler814
Full board? I see there is an option with full board (perhaps the Grand Delight rate) via the Chase Travel Portal.

How is the food at the restaurants? Is there enough variety to eat all meals at the hotel?
Food is always subjective BUT after 3 stays here in the past 18 months I can say this hotel has some of the best food and beverage I've ever had at ANY resort (and I've been to MANY). Everything I've ever eaten here has been fresh and delicious, especially the Mexican food (amazing fresh guacamole, etc.) The steakhouse is also good, even by Texas standards. Service is also almost uniformly excellent.

However, I would NOT recommend the Grand Delight and here's why: the food is reasonably priced and far less expensive than you would pay at a comparable resort in the USA - maybe less than half of Hawaii! Unless you a very very big eater, then I think the value of this plan is probably quite negligible - you are better off simply paying a la carte. If you have club access, you will also find a very very nice Grand Club (with lots of high quality free food, and free drinks at night).

Also, Playa Del Carmen is full of attractive dining venues and if you like to explore AT ALL, you will miss out if trying to take full advantage of the plan. Note that this is an urban resort (think Waikiki without high rises) and the "main drag" in Playa is only a couple of blocks from the Grand Hyatt: it's FULL of shops, dining, entertainment, etc. So, IF you want to simply chill on a remote beach I don't recommend this hotel, and would advise you to check out the Andaz at similar prices, or the Ziva in Cancun... both of which are also excellent properties with a more laid back vibe, and much nicer beaches.