FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian International Airline Program (IAP) 2018 - Platinum
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:01 pm
Clipper801

Thanks for starting the thread. I have found the Canadian IAP to be completely useless in the past few years.

Many years ago when this benefit was introduced, it was one of the best perks as the full flexible J fare was the only thing available on many routes. I have used this benefits many times. Progressively over time, airlines introduced discounted business class fares (P, Z and the like) on many routes. In many situations, buying 2 P tickets are often cheaper than buying a full J with a free companion ticket. The caveat is the less flexible terms and conditions of the discounted business class fares.

The Canadian IAP invariably required the cardholder to purchase a full flexible J ticket. The discount does not apply to the cheaper, discounted business class fares.

For the past few years, I have not found this benefit to be worthwhile as each time, it worked out better by buying 2 discount business class tickets instead.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jul 19, 2018 at 8:39 am Reason: Clarification