FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - what to do with 6 hours in Lima?
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:42 pm
catcher1

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
The problem with short layovers in Lima is that the airport is in Callao, a generally uninteresting district and one that can be dangerous for inexperienced travelers due to petty theft, muggings, etc. But the unpredictability of Lima's famously nasty traffic means that you have to give yourself a lot of time to get from the nicer parts of Lima (San Isidro, Miraflores, Barranco, San Borja, etc.) back to the airport in time to catch your outbound flight.

If you're going to be staying at the airport hotel (which is overpriced IMO, but aren't they all...) you might consider going in the morning before your outbound flight to La Punta, which is part of Callao district, likely the only nice part of it, on a narrow peninsula jutting out into the Pacific Ocean. It's been many years since I have been there but I recall it as a decent area for walking, relatively safe, with some good restaurants including one of LIma's better known seafood restaurants (the name of which escapes me now). And La Punta isn't that far from the airport, so you would spend less time sitting in traffic than if you go to one of the above areas. You'd probably have time for a morning walk and an early seafood lunch (most cebicherķas open at noon and some even at 11:30am) before grabbing a taxi back to the airport.

Suggest you look around on TripAdvisor to see what La Punta has to offer. As I mentioned, it's been many years since I have been there.
I fully agree. There is insufficient time to have a good experience by traveling from the airport in Callao into Lima/Miraflores. The traffic is intolerable.