Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

what to do with 6 hours in Lima?

Old Dec 16, 17, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K

I'm looking at a 16-hour "connection" in LIM, arriving ~0045 and departing ~1645 (both on LATAM Peru; trip is mid Oct) ... will probably book the Wyndham at the airport, but would like ideas for how to spend waking hours (~0830-1400) in and around the city ... some touristy things are of course ok, but lesser-known cool things are better
Old Dec 18, 17, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
I'm looking at a 16-hour "connection" in LIM, arriving ~0045 and departing ~1645 (both on LATAM Peru; trip is mid Oct) ... will probably book the Wyndham at the airport, but would like ideas for how to spend waking hours (~0830-1400) in and around the city ... some touristy things are of course ok, but lesser-known cool things are better
I'd probably stay in the city and leave my room about 1330 to return to the airport. This way you have your stuff as well as a bathroom all day instead of having to check out before exploring the city and storing your luggage. While you will likely be back at the airport in 45 minutes, you really need to allow 2 hours. As crappy as the Sheraton location is, it is only a few blocks from the historic center, and if you've got any status, will be able to get a later check-out.
Old Dec 28, 17, 8:12 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus & FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Please follow this in the Peru forum.

l'etoile
sr. moderator
Old Jun 14, 18, 11:56 am

I guess it is hard to do a lot with only 6 hours but at least you should look on internet the most famous place to visit and not so far from the airport
Old Jun 17, 18, 3:08 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Take a taxi to the Puro Peru buffet, and eat lots of traditional Peruvian food. Opens at 12.00.

258, Av. República de Panamá, Barranco 15049, Peru
Old Jul 12, 18, 6:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
The problem with short layovers in Lima is that the airport is in Callao, a generally uninteresting district and one that can be dangerous for inexperienced travelers due to petty theft, muggings, etc. But the unpredictability of Lima's famously nasty traffic means that you have to give yourself a lot of time to get from the nicer parts of Lima (San Isidro, Miraflores, Barranco, San Borja, etc.) back to the airport in time to catch your outbound flight.

If you're going to be staying at the airport hotel (which is overpriced IMO, but aren't they all...) you might consider going in the morning before your outbound flight to La Punta, which is part of Callao district, likely the only nice part of it, on a narrow peninsula jutting out into the Pacific Ocean. It's been many years since I have been there but I recall it as a decent area for walking, relatively safe, with some good restaurants including one of LIma's better known seafood restaurants (the name of which escapes me now). And La Punta isn't that far from the airport, so you would spend less time sitting in traffic than if you go to one of the above areas. You'd probably have time for a morning walk and an early seafood lunch (most cebicherías open at noon and some even at 11:30am) before grabbing a taxi back to the airport.

Suggest you look around on TripAdvisor to see what La Punta has to offer. As I mentioned, it's been many years since I have been there.
Old Jul 12, 18, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando View Post
The problem with short layovers in Lima is that the airport is in Callao, a generally uninteresting district and one that can be dangerous for inexperienced travelers due to petty theft, muggings, etc. But the unpredictability of Lima's famously nasty traffic means that you have to give yourself a lot of time to get from the nicer parts of Lima (San Isidro, Miraflores, Barranco, San Borja, etc.) back to the airport in time to catch your outbound flight.

If you're going to be staying at the airport hotel (which is overpriced IMO, but aren't they all...) you might consider going in the morning before your outbound flight to La Punta, which is part of Callao district, likely the only nice part of it, on a narrow peninsula jutting out into the Pacific Ocean. It's been many years since I have been there but I recall it as a decent area for walking, relatively safe, with some good restaurants including one of LIma's better known seafood restaurants (the name of which escapes me now). And La Punta isn't that far from the airport, so you would spend less time sitting in traffic than if you go to one of the above areas. You'd probably have time for a morning walk and an early seafood lunch (most cebicherías open at noon and some even at 11:30am) before grabbing a taxi back to the airport.

Suggest you look around on TripAdvisor to see what La Punta has to offer. As I mentioned, it's been many years since I have been there.
I fully agree. There is insufficient time to have a good experience by traveling from the airport in Callao into Lima/Miraflores. The traffic is intolerable.
Old Jul 17, 18, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
schedule change: now arriving Sunday ~0800 and departing Monday ~0900 ... there are two afternoon flights on Sun, but LATAM website shows no married segment availability even though both are bookable as standalone segments
Old Jul 21, 18, 12:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
In that case you have time to get a hotel in a nicer district of town and you needn't feel constrained about where to do your sightseeing. Of course you'll be fighting Monday morning traffic but if you leave for the airport early enough (6:30am would be my recommendation, or even 6:00am) you'll beat it.

Bear in mind, Sunday is a quiet day in Lima. Many stores and businesses are closed, and some restaurants too.
Old Jul 21, 18, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando View Post
In that case you have time to get a hotel in a nicer district of town and you needn't feel constrained about where to do your sightseeing. Of course you'll be fighting Monday morning traffic but if you leave for the airport early enough (6:30am would be my recommendation, or even 6:00am) you'll beat it.

Bear in mind, Sunday is a quiet day in Lima. Many stores and businesses are closed, and some restaurants too.
Very true. But with a Miraflores stay (I use the DoubleTree El Pardo for its good location and personalized attention) on Sunday the Indian Market is just a short walk away, and at Kennedy park you can get a feel for Peruvian weekend family life, have a cappuccino at the famous Cafe Haiti, then take a walk to Larcomar and its cliffs overlooking the ocean. The Larco Herrera museum is also open long hours and is well worth the reasonably short (and very cheap taxi ride).
Old Aug 9, 18, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
we were there a few years ago and the absolute best part about Lima to me was how amaaaazing the food is. So if I were to go there again, I would spend as much time trying out the local cuisine as possible. Causa, ceviche, ...

Search this Thread