FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Inflight Wi-fi
Thread: Inflight Wi-fi
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:56 pm
bennos

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I recently flew JFK-AMS-SIN-CDG-JFK. Of the four segments, two offered the Panasonic wifi system: AMS-SIN (PH-BVF, 772) and CDG-JFK (F-GSQY, 77W). The KL plane had wifi decals, but on AF you either had to hear the FA announcement or notice the wifi signal on your device.

Of course, I didn't use either as the pricing (€5/20MB to €30/200MB) is absurd, and I have no idea what data my apps will use when I connect. (Also my goal was to sleep as much as possible.) Similarly, I didn't notice anyone on either flight using it. In comparison, on DL flights I'd say maybe 10% of the cabin goes online.

Interestingly, the system offers "Roaming Partner" logins. When I signed in using my Boingo account, I was offered a rate of €0.24/minute instead of the data capped rate. While still high (~€15/hour), I'd be much more inclined to pay a per-minute price rather than a per-data price, especially if the price were closer to €0.10/minute (which is about what I used to pay for US domestic long distance telephone calls!).