FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can I change a reservation made w/ points?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:04 pm
CJKatl

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Piece by piece:
  • If you change the date you will need to cancel the reservation and make a new one which will be charged at the new rate if it is after the new rate start date.
  • You can make a reservation without the points being taken out and/or if you do not yet have the points. If you do not have the points you can easily do this online. If you do have enough points, either call Marriott and ask them to not take the points yet or make dummy reservations and use the points, once your account no longer shows enough points make the real reservation and then cancel the dummy reservations so the points return to your account. A week or so before your stay you will get an email reminder to pull the points from your account and if you do not, the points will be pulled automatically. If you do not have the points your reservation will be cancelled.
  • Because of the first two bullet points, you might want to make multiple reservations for now and once you get your plans straightened out cancel the reservations you do not need. I do this frequently but never hold multiple reservations for very long. The phone agents know I am doing this. If people hold reservations for too long the ability to do this might be taken away and/or Marriott might suspect fraud, but as long as you are responsible this lets you work on coordinating different people's schedules and find points flights so as to make your trip work.