Can I change a reservation made w/ points?

Old Jul 7, 18, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex, Marriott,
Can I change a reservation made w/ points?

Hi,

Sorry if this has been posted before. I couldn't find it.
Looking at booking 5 nights at Ritz Carlton Central Park before the points cost changes in August.
Looking at June of 2019, and hoping to catch the SF Giants when they are playing the Yankees.
Since the 2019 MLB schedule doesn't come out until at least September, I'd be guessing at dates.

My question: If I book now, with Marriott points, and need to tweak the dates later on, can I do that w/o canceling the reservation and starting over? (Assuming the dates I want are available)
If I had to do that, it would cost a lot more points. Currently 70k/nt, changing to 85k/nt next month.

Also, if I'm 10k points short at the moment, can I book w/ cash & points, changing to all points later, or do I just hope more points post before the end of the month?

Thank you.
Old Jul 7, 18, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Piece by piece:
  • If you change the date you will need to cancel the reservation and make a new one which will be charged at the new rate if it is after the new rate start date.
  • You can make a reservation without the points being taken out and/or if you do not yet have the points. If you do not have the points you can easily do this online. If you do have enough points, either call Marriott and ask them to not take the points yet or make dummy reservations and use the points, once your account no longer shows enough points make the real reservation and then cancel the dummy reservations so the points return to your account. A week or so before your stay you will get an email reminder to pull the points from your account and if you do not, the points will be pulled automatically. If you do not have the points your reservation will be cancelled.
  • Because of the first two bullet points, you might want to make multiple reservations for now and once you get your plans straightened out cancel the reservations you do not need. I do this frequently but never hold multiple reservations for very long. The phone agents know I am doing this. If people hold reservations for too long the ability to do this might be taken away and/or Marriott might suspect fraud, but as long as you are responsible this lets you work on coordinating different people's schedules and find points flights so as to make your trip work.
suntravler likes this.
Old Jul 7, 18, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Plat/LTG, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AA Gold
Shouldn't be a problem to make multiple reservations as CJKatl mentions. There are many legitimate reasons that you would be booking multiple times at the same location in close proximity.

Just pay attention to the T&Cs on the reservation for cancellation. Depending on time and season, some hotels occasionally slip in a no-cancel or long-dated cancel policy (e.g., must cancel by 45 days ahead) for award bookings
Old Jul 7, 18, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex, Marriott,
Thank you!
Very informative response.
Alternatively, could I book a 3-week stay, and then cancel the parts I don't need?
Old Jul 7, 18, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Shouldn't be a problem to make multiple reservations as CJKatl mentions. There are many legitimate reasons that you would be booking multiple times at the same location in close proximity.

Just pay attention to the T&Cs on the reservation for cancellation. Depending on time and season, some hotels occasionally slip in a no-cancel or long-dated cancel policy (e.g., must cancel by 45 days ahead) for award bookings
Thank you.
I would be canceling by October, at the latest, and not traveling until June. So I would just need to hope one of my reservations covers the dates I want.
Old Jul 7, 18, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Originally Posted by Ramonmv View Post
Thank you!
Very informative response.
Alternatively, could I book a 3-week stay, and then cancel the parts I don't need?
NO!!!! If you do that you run the risk the redemption will be changed. If it were not for the changing redemption, what I often do is hold, let's say, eight nights individually, each on its own reservation, knowing that eventually three will be cancelled and the rest will be combined, giving the fifth night for free. The thing you need to be careful about here is you really do not want to change anything. I would not do my individual night thing in this situation out of fear that combining the nights will reprice them. Think of your reservation as a souffle in the oven. You want as little movement as possible because once it falls there is nothing you can do to make it like it was before.
Old Jul 7, 18, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much.