FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Asked by Hertz to Help With Investigation and Possible Recovery of Lost & Found Item
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:22 pm
docbert

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mdbe
Also the airport is about an hour away who in their right mind would expect me to take time to drive out there and back and burn my time and gas.
Likely, nobody. Hertz obviously had no idea where you were given they were just leaving a voicemail. You could have been driving past the rental location twice a day and been happy to drop it off for all they knew. If the bag was in the car, and you called back, I'm sure they would have been happy to make other arrangements.

Originally Posted by beresford_pi
I do not understand how a company that rents cars to the public does not have a plan in place to return lost property to customers in a timely and efficient manner. Even if it means that the customer will have to pay an expensive shipping fee - which I was - and still am - perfectly willing to do! After all, it was my mistake...!!!
They do. https://www.lostreturns.com/index.ph...st&PartnerId=5 which will even show you a full list of items found at each location.

Personally I've left 2 things in cars over the years (pair of reading glasses left by my father at SFO, and a bluetooth headset at SNA). The glasses were found and listed on that website before we even realized they were missing. The bluetooth headset I realized was missing about 30 mins after returning the car, but it had already been re-rented by the time I made it back to the counter. A few days later I got a call from them letting me know they had searched the car when it was returned by the next renter, found the headset, and it was ready for collection on my return.

Obviously everyone will have a different experience - especially given the real chance that the next renter will keep the item if they find it - but my experience with Hertz lost/found has been nothing short of excellent!