Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Asked by Hertz to Help With Investigation and Possible Recovery of Lost & Found Item

Asked by Hertz to Help With Investigation and Possible Recovery of Lost & Found Item

Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
Why all the secret squirrel? Is the bag in the vehicle or not. If it is not, call back and say so and be done with it. If it is in the car, tell them that you will drop it somewhere convenient for you and they can send someone to pick it up or offer to ship it back if they provide you a Fedex number or whatever suits you.

No secret squirrel here. I posted on my previous post that I called Hertz and left them a voicemail message stating that it was not in the car, which it most certainly is not. About 30 minutes after I left that message, i received another voice mail while on a conference call. This time it was another employee saying they're sure it is in the car and that a manager will get in touch with me tomorrow. I've already sent an email to a VP at Hertz that it is just bad customer service to be this aggressive on the first voice mail and accusatory on the second one. I'll let you guys know if i ever hear back again tomorrow or if this is not the end of it.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:29 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Years ago, I left a Garmin GPS in a car and realized it about 30 min later while waiting for my flight to begin boarding. Called Hertz, spoke with several people and nobody lifted a finger to help me get it back. Even filed a report on Hertz.com but never heard back from anyone.

Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ALARISstl
Years ago, I left a Garmin GPS in a car and realized it about 30 min later while waiting for my flight to begin boarding. Called Hertz, spoke with several people and nobody lifted a finger to help me get it back. Even filed a report on Hertz.com but never heard back from anyone.
That was my biggest gripe with this whole ordeal too. Last year I forgot my really expensive (1k+) sunglasses in the car. I ran back from the terminal to the car rental center but it was gone within the span of 20 minutes. No one cared to enough to do anything. Lesson learned.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by mdbe
That was my biggest gripe with this whole ordeal too. Last year I forgot my really expensive (1k+) sunglasses in the car. I ran back from the terminal to the car rental center but it was gone within the span of 20 minutes. No one cared to enough to do anything. Lesson learned.
And here Ive always felt fancy with a few pair of $200-300 Maui Jims. $1000 shades. Yikes.
DesertNomad likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt

And here Ive always felt fancy with a few pair of $200-300 Maui Jims. $1000 shades. Yikes.
believe me the thought that theres someone somewhere enjoying these still hurts after a year.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador

believe me the thought that theres someone somewhere enjoying these still hurts after a year.
Or the even more painful thought that they too have Lost them
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: none
On Friday, 6/8/18, at about 3:30 pm, I delivered my Hertz car rental to the Long Beach CA Airport Hertz rental desk. At about 6:30 pm the same afternoon, I landed in Sacramento, CA and immediately realized I left my $400 prescription sunglasses on the floor of the trunk. Earlier in the day, I changed from a L/S button down shirt to a S/S polo shirt while standing at the open trunk. I removed the sunglasses from the shirt pocket of the L/S shirt, put the sunglasses on the floor of the trunk, put on the polo and closed the trunk lid.

When I landed in Sacramento and realized my mistake, I immediately called Hertz and was unable to speak with a human. I then went to the Hertz rental car desk at the Sacramento Airport, contacted an agent and explained my plight. The agent replied that he could not reach anyone at the Long Beach Airport rental desk. I looked at him and said, "You must be joking," and I meant it. He then picked up a phone, dialed a number and stared off in a different direction. After a minute, he hung up the phone, told me he could not reach anyone in Long Beach and began to explain how to file a lost property report on-line. I shook my head in disbelief, thanked him and walked back to my car. When I got home later that evening, I filed a lost property report on-line with Hertz. That was a week ago today. Since then, I have attempted to contact a human at Hertz and have been unable to do so. Also filed a complaint with Hotwire, who booked the Hertz rental for me. All I've received from Hertz is a half-dozen emails saying they have not recovered my sunglasses. Previously, when I rented from Enterprise and left my garage door opener in the car, getting the item back was easy-peasy - the same day! Not so with Hertz.....

I do not understand how a company that rents cars to the public does not have a plan in place to return lost property to customers in a timely and efficient manner. Even if it means that the customer will have to pay an expensive shipping fee - which I was - and still am - perfectly willing to do! After all, it was my mistake...!!!

I might never rent from Hertz again and will share this very bad experience with as many others as I can.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:05 am

i just got a phone call from hertz regarding my current rental. Someone from the airport office asking me to search the car for a bag possibly left by the previous rental and even though im not back for a week possibly drop it off. has anyone had such an interaction before? God knows how many sunglassess ive lost and no one even bothered to give me a call let alone the current renter. And how would the cleaners miss a duffel bag? Also the airport is about an hour away who in their right mind would expect me to take time to drive out there and back and burn my time and gas.
OP, what ended up happening?
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: none
m907, who is OP? or did you mean to reply to me and write, "OK, what ended....?"

If you were asking me - nothing has happened. Nothing from Hertz, no sunglasses, no nothing. I'm sure that had I been able to speak with a human about a piece of lost property - worth hundreds of dollars - in a reasonable amount of time after realizing the loss that someone at Hertz more than likely would have found it... Reasonable amount of time - definition: within 6 hrs. I initially tried to recover my lost property by speaking to a Hertz employee in-person a little less than 4 hrs after realizing the loss. Totally avoidable, inexcusable and incompetent.

Shame on Hertz...!!!!!
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Also the airport is about an hour away who in their right mind would expect me to take time to drive out there and back and burn my time and gas.
Likely, nobody. Hertz obviously had no idea where you were given they were just leaving a voicemail. You could have been driving past the rental location twice a day and been happy to drop it off for all they knew. If the bag was in the car, and you called back, I'm sure they would have been happy to make other arrangements.

Originally Posted by beresford_pi
I do not understand how a company that rents cars to the public does not have a plan in place to return lost property to customers in a timely and efficient manner. Even if it means that the customer will have to pay an expensive shipping fee - which I was - and still am - perfectly willing to do! After all, it was my mistake...!!!
They do. https://www.lostreturns.com/index.ph...st&PartnerId=5 which will even show you a full list of items found at each location.

Personally I've left 2 things in cars over the years (pair of reading glasses left by my father at SFO, and a bluetooth headset at SNA). The glasses were found and listed on that website before we even realized they were missing. The bluetooth headset I realized was missing about 30 mins after returning the car, but it had already been re-rented by the time I made it back to the counter. A few days later I got a call from them letting me know they had searched the car when it was returned by the next renter, found the headset, and it was ready for collection on my return.

Obviously everyone will have a different experience - especially given the real chance that the next renter will keep the item if they find it - but my experience with Hertz lost/found has been nothing short of excellent!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.