FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reminder - Use Your Deadbolt, Room Incursion!
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:34 pm
lotus918

Location: Usually LAX or SFO but sometimes MIA in the winter or LCY or PVK in the summer and every now and then SIN or SGN
Programs: in ASM, APL & C++ but never Java
Reminder - Use Your Deadbolt, Room Incursion!

After a crazy night at MCO with our flight being changed, canceled, and ultimately rescheduled to the next day and then cancelled again, we headed to the Orlando Airport DoubleTree about midnight. Totally out of our minds after being awake for nearly 20 hours, Mrs Lotus fell into bed and I was online trying to figure out how to get us back to LAX. About 1:30AM our door is flung open and there's a guy looking at me in my underwear, and me looking at him asking what the hell he thinks he's doing? I run to the door and push it shut and lock it (have no idea if he's about to rob us or what's going on). Call the front desk and they asked me if I was in the right room (you can't make this stuff up I swear)! Said they'll call us back, after ~15 mins I call again and they're still being evasive until they finally said the person who checked us in didn't complete the process and they assigned the room to the next person after us.

Luckily it was genuine mistake, and our visitor had no ill intention toward us. Mrs Lotus was pretty shaken up by the nights events and worried if she'd have been alone what "could" have happened.

Moral of the story is use the deadbolt on your room door no matter how out of your mind tired you are. We always do this, but the one night we forgot ...