Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Reminder - Use Your Deadbolt, Room Incursion!

Old Jun 16, 18, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Location: Usually LAX or SFO but sometimes MIA in the winter or LCY or PVK in the summer and every now and then SIN or SGN
Programs: in ASM, APL & C++ but never Java

After a crazy night at MCO with our flight being changed, canceled, and ultimately rescheduled to the next day and then cancelled again, we headed to the Orlando Airport DoubleTree about midnight. Totally out of our minds after being awake for nearly 20 hours, Mrs Lotus fell into bed and I was online trying to figure out how to get us back to LAX. About 1:30AM our door is flung open and there's a guy looking at me in my underwear, and me looking at him asking what the hell he thinks he's doing? I run to the door and push it shut and lock it (have no idea if he's about to rob us or what's going on). Call the front desk and they asked me if I was in the right room (you can't make this stuff up I swear)! Said they'll call us back, after ~15 mins I call again and they're still being evasive until they finally said the person who checked us in didn't complete the process and they assigned the room to the next person after us.

Luckily it was genuine mistake, and our visitor had no ill intention toward us. Mrs Lotus was pretty shaken up by the nights events and worried if she'd have been alone what "could" have happened.

Moral of the story is use the deadbolt on your room door no matter how out of your mind tired you are. We always do this, but the one night we forgot ...
Old Jun 16, 18, 2:22 pm

Hope they comped your room after this. Totally unacceptable.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 18, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plus check to see if you door-lock works!

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/crime...ied/706524002/
Old Jun 16, 18, 3:13 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
How many points do you think the next guest got for having the door slammed in his face?
LongingForORD and RichH6109 like this.
Old Jun 16, 18, 9:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
Wow, just wow!!! Please tell me that you got the room comped or some other type of compensation. I am so glad that everyone is ok and it was an honest mistake.
Old Jun 16, 18, 11:56 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Staley Cornell View Post
Wow, just wow!!! Please tell me that you got the room comped or some other type of compensation. I am so glad that everyone is ok and it was an honest mistake.
Very awkward situation for that other customer who walked in on you, too. I have been in that situation before (being assigned an occupied room and walking in on people)... it was at a lower end chain property that shall remain nameless and about 7 PM (not Hilton, IHG, or Hyatt) and the hotel manager who assigned me the room was nonchalant about the whole thing "oh we thought they checked out already because today was their check out day." Didn't you idiots check the cleaning log before assigning me a room? Worst thing is the guy I was dealing with was the resident manager of the property (maybe even the owner, who knows). A few things have to happen before a room gets turned around. Old guest has to check out and housekeeping needs to sign off that the room is clean/ready for the next guest. I received NO compensation (which was fine, I didn't ask for any, I didn't care about points in that program anyway and it was a work trip being reimbursed to stay at a garbage hole Wyndham-affiliated property anyway, oops I called the chain out...) and did not file any complaint.
Old Jun 17, 18, 12:00 am

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Gold
I was at an NH hotel in Barcelona one time and this happened. They offered me nothing but a limp apology.

I doubt you could get a comp night. Free breakfast more likely.
Old Jun 17, 18, 12:07 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Happened to me Hilton Bournemouth, December 2016 , checked in, git upgraded to a great suite on top floor...... opened door and it was clearly occupied although nobody present, back to reception, big apologies and given another suite same floor but opposite end of corridor........... I opened the door very gingerly!
Old Jun 17, 18, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Double assigned room has happened to me twice that I can recall:

Hilton Garden Inn near Seattle it was me doing the barging in, just as one of the couple was pulling on his trousers. My one night stay was comped.

Intercontinental London I was barged in on. Bottle of wine and two days' breakfast as I was staying on a credit card cert and points so nothing to refund. I generally do bolt the door, but that time I forgot.
Old Jun 17, 18, 12:49 pm

MGM Vegas, many years ago. Checked in went to room and walked in to someone dressing..OOPS back to check in desk. The second attempt to get a room was a little better, given new room key and went to the room, opened the door and there was luggage and the room was obviously occupied....back to the desk. We insisted this time for a Manager to go with us to the 3rd room to verify that the room was empty and ready for us to occupy, the 3rd time was the charm. No compensation asked for or offered. I will say, we never went back to the MGM.
Old Jun 17, 18, 12:51 pm

Why do some people not use the deadbolt is my question
Old Jun 17, 18, 1:28 pm

Programs: none
If I could get my room comped simply by my failing to use the dead colt, I would never use it.
ChinaShrek likes this.
Old Jun 17, 18, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103 View Post
If I could get my room comped simply by my failing to use the dead colt, I would never use it.
If you did use it, even if they comped the room, the cleaning fees would swallow that right up.
Old Jun 17, 18, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Allan38103 View Post
Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
If you did use it, even if they comped the room, the cleaning fees would swallow that right up.
It is a nightmare trying to get dead colt out of a carpet.
Old Jun 17, 18, 2:27 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
It is a nightmare trying to get dead colt out of a carpet.
More of a Knight's mare, than a nightmare, surely.

I'll stop horsing around and get my coat... `

Search this Thread
Search Engine: