FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:49 am
aubreyfromwheaton

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
I disagree 100% with you. I thought after your preface about 10 cards you were going to give a data point that you were approved. But you didn't. You just speculated.

I have also had a similar number of cards and kept them for a year or several years and I appear to be currently 86'd!

Originally Posted by Explorer789
Well, as I said before, you should be fine if you don't get too greedy with how are you opening/closing the accounts and stick to the known rules (e.g. organic spend only for min spend, close your card only after first year). Even as someone who has had close to 10 amex cards opened in the past two years and closed about half of them after one year, I don't think this blanket language is going to change the game at all. It's just to cover themselves in an extreme scenario.

I have kept the Plat card for the past two years, which I use occasionally for doing daily spend and taking advantage of amex offers. In the end, they value long term relationship and those who contribute to their bottom line in ways other than just churning those bonuses, even through means of MS that many FTers here are doing 10s of thousands per month without issue.