FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA mileage earning on AC (Air Canada) operated flights [ARCHIVE]
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:17 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe

that sounds strange - typically, aren’t the conversions based on fare basis and not class, I.e. while certain Q basis may match to T (and could have in the past), others likely match to Q, etc. With AC, my impression in the past was that they mostly mapped to the same, at least before the current fare structure change at AC where the same fare class used to always fit into one of Tango, Flex, etc. whereby now you can’t tell the fare category based on class. And premium economy, also relatively new, excepted.
I don't think we have any way to know how a codeshare conversion is done behind the scenes. Your interpretation is certainly possible.

I agree that the new Tango structure is probably what's gumming up the works; it was clearly the intent to have domestic AC Tango fares give 25% on UA. But if the flight were a UA codeshare, I don't think you can end up on a Tango fare in the first place (I can't imagine an AC Tango fare allowing a UA code).

My opinion is that if UA had a way to distinguish between Tango and Flex fares, MileagePlus would account for that. With the recent introduction of TATL Light fares, and the general move toward unbundling across the board, I suspect that's coming, but I would still want to see it in the program documentation before I accepted a random customer care agent's word for it.