FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:06 pm
Steve_Hun

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by ylefin
Excuse me very much but sometimes, reading this thread and others, I have a strong feeling that some, maybe many of you are actually narcissist. I would NEVER like to be personally greeted by name or recognised or getting a free paper or even a drink if my neighbour in the next seat does not get it. I would feel embrassed and would like to move to another seat. Any of you who admires the narcissist Trump? Sorry again for this late night postage. What concerns other top tier benefits, they are of course OK and well deserved.
Of course, there can always be someone with narcissistic feelings, but I think most, if not all of us here in FT are far from it. I'm not a finn, but have been living here for more than a decade, so I think I have a relatively good understanding of Finnish people, therefore I see why you would feel that these perks are only beneficial for / appreciated by a narcissist person.

For me, especially the being greeted by name is a sign of being appreciated for my business by the airline. It doesn't make me feel special, but it does make me welcomed BACK. After all, we are FREQUENT flyers, so you are returning to a place (the airplane), you are frequently visiting, where it is normal in real life as well, that ppl greet you by name. If I get my copy of Financial Times, great, I read it, if not, there is my Kindle. Same goes for the champagne, though I'd probably miss that the most. Just like @CPH-Flyer said ti, if I get these I really appreciate them, if not I get on with my life and do not feel like I'm not treated as I "should be". While we do talk a lot about these perks and services here on FT, I don't think that any of us falls into the DYKWIA category. I'd say the discussions are more to talk about the (in)consistency of the service that AY offers and to showcase, how much your experience depends on the crew you are flying with. If the platinum recognition would work the same way 100% of the times, no one would post here....