FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:16 pm
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ylefin
Excuse me very much but sometimes, reading this thread and others, I have a strong feeling that some, maybe many of you are actually narcissist. I would NEVER like to be personally greeted by name or recognised or getting a free paper or even a drink if my neighbour in the next seat does not get it. I would feel embrassed and would like to move to another seat. Any of you who admires the narcissist Trump? Sorry again for this late night postage. What concerns other top tier benefits, they are of course OK and well deserved.
While I can see part of your point, there is sometimes a bit weird feeling to getting these things while the seatmate does not. First time I experienced it on AA where it was a very public announcement it was rather awkward. Usually, it is done discretely enough for most other people not to notice

Am I narcissistic because I recieve these services (some of which are publicly stated benefits)? I don't think so, if I started throwing a tantrum each time I was not addressed by name, or there were no newspaper services then I would say yes. I appreciate when it happens, I ignore it when it does not.

So where is is the line of which benefits are OK to use without being a narcissist?

Going to the lounge?
Boarding before your seatmate?
Your seatmate having waited in line 15 minutes at the gate, and you come a minute before boarding and walk right past them?
When there is a 20 people long line of passengers waiting for irrops handling, and you go to the empty line for priority passengers?