FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - App display of early cleared upgrades changed? Waitlists on gate monitors going away?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:46 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
While I agree with information, from a practical standpoint the information isn't relevant. If your upgrade cleared before T-24 for whatever reason, when you check in you'll have your upgraded seat. If you haven't been upgraded yet, then you'll show on a list as awaiting an upgrade or upgraded. Only those pax really have a *need* to consult the list. For everyone else it's just curiousity.
It's relevant for judging eventual clearing probabilities, especially when UA does clearances at the windows. It's also relevant if you care which F seat you get; I have much more success getting the seat that I want by selecting it as soon as I realize I'm upgraded.

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The "possible" "benefit to United" is obvious: United assuredly doesn't want people playing SDC games for purposes of scoring upgrades, and United is likely to sell more upgrades at or before check-in if people believe their upgrade odds are lower.
Why should UA care if people are SDC'ing to get upgraded? They were going to upgrade somebody anyway. The only reason an SDC would net an upgrade is if the SDC'ing passenger has a higher status / fare class than somebody on the waitlist; UA presumably is happy to reward that person's loyalty.

And, the "sell more TODs" sword cuts both ways -- people are less likely to strive for UA status if they feel they'll never be upgraded. You can see that attitude already on this forum, especially from SFO-based passengers. Presumably, UA would rather keep their business than lose it to the competition.