FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reaching late night w/family - options
View Single Post
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:11 pm
evergrn

Originally Posted by christep
I feel kaka exaggerates the situation dramatically. Granted I don't take taxis from the airport, but in 20 years of taking them regularly around town I can think of only one occasion where the driver tried to take a "scenic" route, plus a couple where there wouldn't go cross-harbour when asked.

However, there are two blackspots: taxis hanging around at the lower Peak Tram station seem quite often to be scammers, and there is the problem of taxis at Lan Kwai Fong late on a Friday and Saturday night declining short rides (or demanding high fixed prices). A standard rule of taxis anywhere is "you pick the taxi, don't take a taxi that picks you". The luggage fees are part of the standard regulated published fare, they aren't a scam.

I'd far, far rather use a HK taxi than take a ride in some unknown, unlicensed and uninsured person's private vehicle. Uber drivers are just as likely to fall asleep (or have a heart attack and die while driving, killing other people, as happened recently) as taxi drivers.
I have to agree with this. Although I don't live there, I've been there over a dozen times and must have taken a cab well over 100 times, more times than in any other country. Not once have I been scammed AFTER getting in the car in HK. I've actually been scammed in Jpn of all places recently. But never in HK.

HKG cab drivers can be a real pain for other reasons. They refuse to take you if they don't like your destination (big problem during shift changeover time). They always want to take you to HKIA when you tell them you just want to go to Kowloon Station. I've seen those drivers demanding ridiculous fixed prices at lower Peak Tram and Soho, as mentioned above. However, that's a situation where they're trying to scam you with full disclosure in advance.