FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United lying about flight delay {sitting on runway, phone agent not seeing delay}
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:56 am
fastair

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by 1P
Here we have the issue of when does a flight actually leave? If the airline says it has left because it has left the gate, when you are sitting on the tarmac for an hour and a half, waiting for wheels up, then any reasonable person would say that the flight has in fact not yet left.

The twofold problem is this:

(a) How to make phone agents understand what's going on. It's quite ridiculous that the phone agents can't check up on Flightaware, or similar, to see the status of the plane, if the airline's own system cannot see that the plane is still parked at a holding apron. That's what I'd ask them to do.

(b) Gate agents book a flight out when it leaves the gate. They don't hang around to see whether it actually takes off. IMO this needs to change. Gate agents should be "responsible" for the flight until it physically departs, even if they are handling subsequent departures. Otherwise you get the scenario (as happened to a friend of mine recently) when the last flight of the day is delayed taking off, and eventually returns to the gate and is canceled because of a mechanical. Long before then, the gate agents have packed up and gone home, and there is no one left at the airport to service the passengers' overnight needs and get their luggage back, let alone rebook them the following day.
  1. Gate agents don’t do times. They process customers at the gate. You’ve got what’s put in by the crew, based on ACARS data (time it left gate, time it took off, time it landed, and time it blocked in) and stuff put in, often by automation, by the SOC/NOC control centers) which adds in estimated taxi and flight times. In no way is a GA anywhere in the loop of updating taxi and flight times to a flight.
  2. so e crew will sit at a gate not boarded waiting for ATC clearance times, others will push, hopeing to get a free slot so that they’re ready if the flow control opens up. There are positives and negatives to both, although pushing early, other than the fact you may die on a pad (NEVER A RUNWAY) waiting for clearance can only get you there sooner vs waiting in the airport, which at best, will save no time.