FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:13 am
jphripjah

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by onlysuites
If you are looking to go in August their cash rates are normally very good. Was around $300-400 last year which is much better then using points IMHO.
I just looked at August 24-29 and it's $427 sale rate for a beach villa. When you add the 23% tax and service charge it's $525 per night. That's pretty good. The you'd earn points on that spend as well. Of course, you have to prepay, no refunds.

I've booked those dates for 76,000 points per night with fifth night free, still cancelable for two more months, and in a water villa that otherwise would cost $680++ per night.

Anyway, I agree with your comment about good cash rates, but when considering the taxes and service charges and 5th night free option AND the water villa being the standard point redemption, I can't agree that paying cash is much better than using points here.