FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QF sector on RTW ticket
View Single Post
Old May 29, 2018, 2:05 pm
Sykes

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by jsloan
1 - Maybe? If you can, you might not like the way it prices out. The RTW fares are pretty liberal in terms of combinations, and allow side trips with no restrictions. The problem is going to be finding a fare to cover MEL-SYD that UA can plate. This might require full Y (around USD$550). Basically, MEL-SYD would have to be counted as an embedded surface sector on the RTW fare and then as a one-way side-trip on the QF fare. And that assumes that you can get UA to sell you the ticket in the first place; they're not always keen to sell random non-*A flights.

2 - I don't see anything in the fare rules that would prohibit it from being on the same ticket, but that doesn't mean UA would sell it that way. Whether or not QF would interline across separate tickets is up to them.
Are you reading the same RTW fare rules I am? YRWSTAR1 (for example LAX-LAX) looks like it isn't combinable with much of anything at all:

Code:
10.COMBINATIONS                                                 
    SINGLE/DOUBLE OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS NOT        
    PERMITTED.                                                  
   END-ON-END                                                   
     END-ON-END COMBINATIONS NOT PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL        
     FARE COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS NOT PERMITTED.                 
     END-ON-END NOTE -                                          
       ONE OF EACH OF AFRICA/ASIA/CHINA/EUROPE/AND              
       NORTH AMERICA/STAR ALLIANCE AIRPASS MAY BE ISSUED        
       ON A SEPARATE TICKET IN CONNECTION WITH A STAR           
       ALLIANCE RTW TICKET.
As such, with those fare rules, basically anything that isn't on the RTW fare would need to be on a separate ticket. You could theoretically have multiple tickets in the same PNR to make interlining bags across multiple tickets easier, but doing so tends to confuse agents and makes everything else about the itinerary harder to manage.

Ultimately, I think your life is going to be a lot easier if you just accept the LAX transfer.