FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)
Old May 25, 2018, 4:43 pm
LukeO9

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by Freshmk
Hey, after a little bit of guidance, looking at about booking an award from MEL to PVG. There is direct award availability MEL-PVG on QF in business, however I have found first class availability for my dates on QF MEL-SIN, and therefore propose to try get a combined mixed cabin first class award from MEL to PVG.

To get from SIN to PVG requires two sectors (i.e. SIN-HKG-PVG or SIN-KUL-PVG). I appreciate that these flights will be in business class due to unavailability of first, but is it possible to combine the MEL-SIN-HKG-PVG flights on one first class award? I somewhat assume that MEL-SIN and SIN-HKG-PVG will be split into two awards based on available fares, but thought it would be worth asking here first. Thanks for your help in advance.
Oddly, MEL-SIN-HKG-PVG (QF/CX) prices as separate tickets, but MEL-SYD-SIN-HKG-PVG (QF/CX) prices as one ticket, which should translate to 2 vs. 1 award, respectively - but this is not categorical.
The SIN-HKG leg can have first availability, but with CX, it is not consistent and changes frequently, even in the days leading up to departure. So if you do an HKG stopover (<24hrs) you can have some flexibility.