FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)
View Single Post
Old May 25, 2018, 3:13 pm
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
Not DCC but I had an interesting experience at a store in MEX post-security. While buying a new phone charger, the clerk scanned my boarding pass and passport and proceeded to ring me up in USD. (Prices on items were marked in both MXP and USD.)
Yes, please let us know. This is similar to places like the Cayman Islands that price in Cayman Islands dollars but then complete credit card transactions in USD using their own exchange rate of 0.80 KYD = 1 USD. In reality the exchange rate is 1 USD = 1.20 KYD, so the restaurant's exchange rate is 4% worse, but there is no way to opt out because they have USD capable credit card terminals. They also say they have no way to use the KYD terminal unless one's card is KYD. In another case, there are certain restaurants in Aruba that also price in USD even though their native currency is the florin. I don't know if a local comes in whether or not the person would be able to pay in AWG or use of USD is mandatory. There's another case with Lotte in Korea where there are products priced in USD. Again, I don't know how it works if a Korean comes in and wants to buy something with a card denominated in KRW. Perhaps percysmith might know in the Lotte case.

On another note, I've got a contender for most egregious DCC offer that I've ever seen when klashn withdrew money from a Euronet ATM at Henri Coandă International Airport last night. The offer was as follows:

Exchange rate 3.4865 RON/USD
DCC Amount: $229.45
Mastercard Amount: $202.81
Amount of DCC overcharge: $26.64
Effective DCC rate: 13.1%

I thought Mastercard requires the percentage to be listed as well as the exchange rate? There were also two prompts to opt out of DCC. While we didn't try the DCC option of course, I would have liked to have seen if there was a, "Are you really sure you don't want to use DCC?" prompt if accepting DCC. I'm also pretty sure that according to both Visa and Mastercard the choice needs to be neutral and not try to steer a customer toward one choice.